Saturday, May 11, 2013

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network

A Personal Learning Network (PLN) is a group of technology platforms that allow one to be a more effective educator (or citizen!) in my opinion.  I see the network as a web that is waiting for signals to be passed to you or inputs.  These inputs actively gather information and relay it to me on my PLN. On my PLN, I use Twitter, Diigo, and Storify.  Twitter is a means of connecting a very large audience on a very specific subject instantly!  Diigo is a web tool that allows me to publish and highlight web content to everyone that follows me.  Storify is a means of establishing a more permanent record of a twitter conversation.

Twitter will help me become a better teacher by allowing me to form bonds with like minded individuals and learn from them.  I don't mean to brag, but I am following 11 people on twitter.  Some of my classmates like Stephanie Cambell, Marisol Martinez, and Joanne Menchaca are in my twitter network.  Additonally, I also follow my instructor Jeff Heil.  I had a great initial twitter experience tweeting all about earth day with fellow educators in #NTCHAT.  It was great to instantly connect with educators from around the world.  I have turned my first chat into a storify and added it to my blog.

Diigo is a social bookmarking hi liter so to speak.  With it, I can mark items for later use (Think Tivo for the computer) and "check them out" at a later time.  Additionally, people that follow me can see what I mark, and follow my though stream.  Personally, I do not like Diigo too much.  It kind of freaks me out that other people can see every thing I do online.  I like a little more privacy I guess.  Though I do like the ability to mark things for later reading.  I find Diigo to be very busy, and I like things to be simple.

I joined Classroom 2.0 with the intent of learning what a web 2.0 tool was.  I guess 2.0 just refers to the fact that a website is more than just informational now.  This would make all websites 2.0 if they have some amount of interactivity to them.  The community seems vibrant, and very helpful.




No comments:

Post a Comment